Wednesday 23 February 2011

Localism made simple

Jay Kennedy, DSC’s Head of Policy offers a light-hearted sketch on community empowerment and the proposed Right to Challenge in the Localism Bill, as well as a more considered analysis in an article for the Guardian.



Telephone:
ring ring…ring ring…ring ring…ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring

Council Official 1: What do you want?

Citizen: Oh good morning, I’d like to exercise my right to challenge…

Council Official 1: your what?...sorry…it’s, ah, just that I’m the only one left in my unit and I’m a bit frazzled…you want to exercise? I’ll connect you with the leisure centre…

Citizen: no, no you misunderstand – I’m talking about the powers the Government have given us in the Localism Act 2012 – people are now allowed to take over services the council provides if we think we can do a better job.

Council Official 1: oh yes, I do remember hearing something about that…just a moment…(checks latest circular)…it says here you have to submit an Expression of Interest first…

Citizen: how do I do that?

Council Official 1: you’re supposed to go to www.communities.gov.uk and download it, then send it back to us – they’re in charge of all the regulations and guidance you see…

Citizen: but I don’t have internet access at home, and you just closed down my library…

Council Official 1: uh, well, OK, I’ll see if I can send you a hard copy in the post.

[several weeks pass…]

Telephone: ring ring…ring ring…ring ring…ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring

Council Official 2: hello?

Citizen: hi yes, I spoke with a Mr Smith a couple of weeks ago about exercising my right to challenge...

Council Official 2: Uh, hmm, yes, I see…I think he may be on sick leave…stress…

Citizen: Oh dear, sorry about that, it’s just that I sent my Expression of Interest [EOI] in, but I’ve not heard anything back yet. We’re keen to get on with our project, can you chase it up please?

Council Official 2: I’ll do my best, but I’m just a temp…

Citizen: I guess I should explain - some people in my community aren’t happy with how you’re managing our local park, and we think we could do it better ourselves. The Government have said we’re now allowed to take it over.

Council Official 2: Oh right - is this something to do with all this Big Society stuff? Sounds like a good idea, we could do with all the help we can get to be honest…I’ll chase it up and get back to you.

[several months pass…]

Telephone: ring ring…

Council Executive: hello, may I speak with a Mrs Jones please? I’m calling regarding her recent Expression of Interest in running the park near Main Street.

Citizen: Oh yes, this is she, thank you for calling! I’ve been trying for months now to get a response – our community group is really keen to get going with this.

Council Executive: Apologies for the delay, but we had to have some important core strategic conversations at the highest levels with key stakeholders. But I’m pleased to say that the council has accepted your EOI, and as a result a tendering exercise will take place for a contract to run the park services. Deadline for submission of bids is four weeks from today.

Citizen: Eh, pardon me? I don’t understand…I just thought if our form was accepted we could start doing the work – there’s a lot of rubbish there you know, and the shrubs need pruning, and you know the kids spray graffiti on the benches, of course we’ll need a bit of financial hel—

Council Executive : the regulations state that if your EOI is accepted it triggers a tendering exercise – your group is strongly encouraged to bid. I should also advise you that we have decided to amend the EOI to cover all parks in the city.

Citizen: Oh, I see…but we just wanted to look after our own local park…I don’t think we would want to look after all of them…what am I supposed to do now?

Council Executive: I would suggest you may need to look at forming a consortium with other groups in your area. The guidance and criteria should be available from our website in a couple of weeks or so, good day [hangs up]

[several months pass…]

Telephone: ring ring…ring ring…ring ring…ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring ring… ring

Council Official 3: hello?

Citizen: Hi, yes, I wanted to lodge a complaint because I’m really unhap—

Council Official 3: sorry, that’s not my department…I’ll just transfer you now…

Answerphone:…if you would like to make a complaint, press 9. Organisations which applied under the recent procurement exercise for city parks maintenance are advised of the following statement:

‘The Council received a number of high quality applications to manage parks in the city, including from A4b, Jerco and Peolia. We are delighted to inform you that Jerco submitted the winning bid as it offered outstanding value for money and met all key performance indicators.’

‘The provision of our complaints service is currently out to tender. If you would like to submit an expression of interest. .

No comments:

Post a Comment