Tuesday 15 October 2013

Full Council | Response to the debate on Energy Bill Revolution

Here's my response to the debate on my Notice of Motion:


It's been a fascinating debate but very little I heard from the bench opposite has been about the motion

I've been planning the table this motion before the conference season 
(see here for when I first heard about the Energy Bill Campaign)

The 150 organisations supporting this Energy Bill Revolution include 
The Scouts Association - the Cooperative Group - eon Warrington Borough Council - Rethink Mental Illness - Keep Britain Tidy - Asda - WWF - Fire Brigade Union

201 MPs have signed the petition - MPS of all hues
I' m sorry that neither of Exeter's MPs are absent from that list

Cllr Shiel
Suggests that this has no relevance to the business of this council
I believe that 6000 families in this city facing fuel poverty IS the business of this council.

17 other councils have decided it is their business and have already signed the Energy Bill Revolution

Cllr Leadbetter
Yes, there are green taxes but figures I received earlier today say that the cost decommissioning Nuclear Power stations are also included - and they currently stand at twice that of green taxes

Cllr Ruffle
Yes, The Green Deal hasn't worked
This is a new vision of looking at using £4 billion per year to address fuel poverty here in Exeter and beyond

Cllr Donovan
Please go back to he motion
This isn't about Ed Miliband's freeze
I repeat again, each and every 1 of the Big 6 companies already have fixed tariffs now
Ineed, I signed up to one last week

I thank Cllr Henson for her calculations
And her history lesson - but I'm looking to the future

None of this is about price rises or new taxes

It's about using the carbon taxes currently collected by the
Govt and redirect them To tackle fuel poverty


No comments:

Post a Comment